I guess the procedure varies depending on what kind of real estate you're going to buy. If you wanna purchase a property in a new building, better to contact the project developer directly. Better safe than sound, if you know what I mean. Plus, I'd advice you to search for information about the project in the Internet.
If you don't know VN language well enough, you should hire an interpreter who will help you with documentation, negotiations and stuff.
If you're buying from a developer, take the following into consideration:
1) You don't have to pay taxes. The developer is to pay tax for the property sale.
2) If you sign a contract on the early stage of construction, you might not be able to see what exact property is available for you to purchase. If you're on the stage when some drawings and samples are available, you can sign a reservation contract for the particular property you choose.
3)Then you have to sign a deposit contract which is about 80mln Dong. If after signing you're not going to buy property, you lose your deposit. Percentage and purchase plan varies for VN and foreign citizens.
4) Next step is signing the property purchase contract and transferring 30% of its price.
5) Then you pay 65% of the price and receive the contract and receipt.
6) At the day of the property handover you have to check it for defects and sign the object delivery contract.
I hope it's clear enough!